Submitted by zainab_y on Thu, 2010-06-03 04:38
To prepare the vegetables:
- WASH the vegetables and dry them well. Mix all the ingredients for the masala, except ghee, and marinate the vegetables in it for one hour.
- Heat ghee and deep fry the onions till well browned. Remove from ghee. When cool, grind to a paste.
- Wash and cook the rice in double the quantity of water. When done, remove the rice and spread it in a plate. Keep aside to cool. Lightly roast the saffron powder and sprinkle over the rice.
- Heat ghee in a kadai and season it with the whole spices. Add the vegetables and saute for five minutes. Add a little water and cook the vegetables till done and almost dry.
- In a baking dish arrange alternate layers of rice and the prepared vegetables. Top with garnish and bake in a moderately hot oven for 20 minutes. Serve with raita and papad.
- 400 g. basmati rice;
- 250 g. cauliflower, cut into flowerettes;
- 100 g. green peas, shelled;
- 100 g. carrots, cut into 2.5 cm long pieces;
- 100 g. french beans, cut into diamond shaped pieces;
- 3 potatoes, cut into four pieces each;
- 2 black cardamoms;
- 4 green cardamoms;
- 4 cm cinamon, 4 cloves;
- 8 peppercorns;
- 1 tsp. shahjeera;
- 3 bay leaves;
- a few strands saffron.
Masala for the vegetables:
- 250 g. onions, sliced;
- 3/4 cup curd;
- 4 tsp. chilli powder;
- 3 tsp. ginger-garlic paste;
- 2 tsp. mint paste;
- 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder;
- 1 1/2 tsp. coriander-cummin powder;
- salt to taste;
- 3 tbsp. ghee or more;
- ghee for deep frying the onions.
For the garnish:
- 2 tomatoes, sliced;
- 2 capsicums, sliced;
- 2 onions, fried till crisp;
- a few mint leaves.