Submitted by rehanak55 on Thu, 2007-04-19 09:40
1 cup rava (semolina)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ghee (you can use less if you want, it is not critical to the recipe)
3 tbsps cashewnuts
3 tbsps golden raisins
1 tsp powdered cardamom powder
- Melt the ghee in a saucepan or wok.
- Fry cashew nuts till golden brown and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Fry the raisins in the same ghee and remove with a slotted spoon.
- Fry the rava/semolina gently till golden brown and fragrant. There should be very noticable change in color and aroma when compared with the raw semolina. Set aside.
- Mix the sugar and water in a pan.
- Heat gently to a rolling boil and keep stirring.
- Check the sugar syrup for a 1-string consistency. This means that when you lift the spoon from the syrup and feel the syrup coating the back of the spoon, it should be very sticky. Blow on it a bit before you touch it - it will be hot!. Gently pinch and spread apart your forefinger and thumb. The sugar syrup should trail in a single strand between the two fingers. This is known as "one-string" sugar syrup.
- Slowly stir in the the semolina to avoid forming lumps.
- Stir in the cashews, raisins and cardamom powder.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- When warm enough to handle, squeeze a handful of the mixture between your fingers and palm to form small balls.