Submitted by rehanak55 on Mon, 2007-03-26 06:34
- 225gms / 1/2lb boneless fish pieces
- 2 cups basmati rice (pre-soaked)
- 1tbsp curd / plain yogurt
- 1tsp mango powder
- 1tsp garam masala powder
- 1tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Ghee as required
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 8 whole green cardamoms (big elaichi)
- 1 brown cardamom (small elaichi)
- 2 pieces of cinnamon stick
- 1tsp white cumin seeds
- 2tbsp tomato puree
- 21/2 cups water
- Disslove1/2 tsp saffron strands in 1tbsp warm water.
- Make a paste with the yogurt, mango powder, garam masala, half of the chili powder and salt to taste.Smear it over fish pieces. keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a deep sauce-pan and fry onions and garlic till golden. Add rice, cardamoms, cinnamon, cumin, tomato puree and water. Cook over moderate heat for about 10 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pan and fry fish until lightly browned. Stir the fried fish pieces into the rice and cook over a low heat and sprinkle saffron mixture.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with curd chutney(raita)